1. Curriculum Vitae. Martin Janello was born and grew up in southwestern Germany. He studied law and philosophy at the University of Heidelberg and holds a doctoral degree in law from the University of Arizona, USA. He has practiced transactional business law for many years. Yet, upon taking care of making a living, Martin returned to his passion for subjects at the intersection of natural and human law and philosophy, and particularly the question how human affairs should be ordered. He had concluded since his studying days that traditional philosophy largely failed or misled humanity in these matters, and that a new beginning was required to secure a brighter future. For over 15 years now, Martin has dedicated himself massively to this purpose. An ever-growing reason was that his work revealed exhilarating opportunities to significantly improve the human condition.
2. Philosophy. The result of this labor of love is a radically, from the ground up new theoretical and practical philosophy focusing on human wellbeing and all that is required for or resulting from it. Martin's philosophy can be summarized as the balance and harmonic advancement of personal existence, humanity, and the non-human environment through the development of individual philosophies. The central defining force in this philosophy is happiness as an intensely individual but also systematic phenomenon that shapes the human condition, human destiny, and matters beyond, up to a cosmic scale.
3. Work and Findings. This inference may appear surprising to many. However, Martin's writings meticulously lay out how happiness holds the key to existential concerns beyond its commonly associated connotations. Some proof of its importance, and the dangerous deficit of it, is readily evident. We only have to look at people's misery, and their negligence and abuse toward themselves and their surroundings. Martin has a lot to say about how we can change this - and that change it we must for our, humanity's, and our world's sake.
Toward this goal, he advocates a reorientation of philosophy onto individuals as sovereign centers of mindful decision-making. Martin is trying to assist his readers reach and maintain such authority and self-determination through the promotion of their personal philosophies. The essential initiator and mechanism for this is that they perceive, think, and feel for themselves. Persons growing their own bearings have a better chance to learn how they and their settings are connected. They are more considerate of themselves, others, and the non-human environment. They are less gullible, timid, or prone to seek affirmation or leadership from others. Their reflections form the organizational and energetic cores from which the optimization of the human condition can flow.
4. Martin’s and Readers’ Philosophies. Advancing this objective ties back to Martin’s philosophy and purpose. But he does not tell readers what their philosophies should be. Rather, he describes common conditions and issues of the human experience and suggests methods for self-realization in both meanings of the word. That individuals make up their own minds, including about what he writes and says, is a vital element in this process and the operative underpinning of his philosophy. He is confident readers will find proper balance and harmony if they come into their own and apply their given faculties.
5. Accessing Martin's Work. The central repository for Martin's philosophy is his Philosophy of Happiness Book. Short of reading the book, this website offers means to get acquainted with his work's motivations, purposes, and approaches. An initial impression might be conveyed by the Table of Contents from the book, a copy of which is available as Item 2.a) of the Materials section. Next in line might be the FAQ section, which contains more detailed, parceled information in response to 24 questions. And the 10 entries from the Forum section might be viewed as supplements. Martin has also authored a number of introductory articles about the development of a personal philosophy that are linked through their listings in Item 1 of the Materials section.
Many of these contributions are not only in written but also audio format. As is the entire Philosophy of Happiness book, on this website and in the Audio Book YouTube playlist. Martin has produced two of the introductions as videos (Items 1.c) and d) of the Materials section). And he will more regularly appear in short videos of a new for 2022 series titled "Martin's Mindful Minutes."
Topics surrounding, illustrating, or fostering a personal philosophy are explored by Martin in a variety of forms: The articles of the Blog section, essays of the Philosophic Reflections book, and quotes and poems of the 6-part Knowing Series of books. To find out more, please turn to the corresponding sections of this website.
Listed below are book plates of the books Martin has written. More information about these books can be accessed by clicking on their plates.
He is further open to limited appearances, including book signings and interviews. Please direct inquiries to him via the Contact section.
Philosophy of Happiness
Philosophy of Happiness
Philosophy of Happiness
Kindle, Kobo, Nook, PDF E-Book
Happiness: A Critical Introduction
© 2013-2022 BY MARTIN JANELLO